Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|image distance|| ||inverse square law|
|object distance|| ||ray diagram|
- The intensity of light decreases by a factor of 9 when the distance increases by a factor of 3 because light follows a/an _______.
- Jean-Claude is taking a picture with his camera of his friend located 2.5 m away. The _______ is 2.5 m.
- Inside a camera, the separation between the lens and the detector (film or a CCD) is the _______.
- A/An _______ is useful to represent how light changes direction with mirrors, lenses, and prisms.
|diffuse reflection|| ||lens|
|reflection|| ||specular reflection|
- _______ is when light waves can bounce off a material in any direction.
- A mirror image off a surface is caused by _______.
- A/An _______ window provides privacy while still letting in light.
- Most glass used in windows is _______ and does not blur or darken images.
- The curved surface of a/an _______ may magnify images.
- A camera lens uses _______ to change the apparent size of the subject in the photograph.
- Light, water, and sound waves can exhibit _______ when they bounce off a boundary.
- Specular reflection is produced by a/an _______.
- A/An _______ disperses light into its individual colors.
|angle of incidence|| ||angle of reflection|
|image|| ||incident ray|
|law of reflection|| ||normal|
|reflected ray|| |
- The angle of incidence is measured between the _______ and the incident ray.
- When you look in a mirror, a light ray from the image you are observing is a/an _______.
- You can look at a/an _______ of yourself in the mirror.
- The relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection is related by the _______.
- The _______ is the angle formed by the incident ray.
- The ________ is always equal to the angle of incidence.
|focal length|| ||focal point|
|optical axis|| |
- The imaginary line drawn through the center of a spherical mirror is its _______.
- A diverging, or _______, mirror reflects rays of light away from each other.
- A/An _______ mirror is depressed inward.
- A light ray that is incident upon a spherical mirror and travels parallel to the principal axis will be reflected through the _______.
- In an eclipse on Earth, the Sun or Moon is blocked from view.
- In a solar eclipse, what order are the Earth, Moon, and Sun in?
- What about in a lunar eclipse?
- In designing a pinhole camera, such as in the design project on page 1165, what quantity will you vary to project a 3-mm-high image of the Sun onto the back screen of the camera?