Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|fulcrum|| ||input arm|
|input force|| ||lever|
|machine|| ||mechanical advantage|
|output arm|| ||output force|
|simple machine|| |
- When a wedge is pounded into a log using a sledgehammer, the sledgehammer provides the _______.
- The ramp, screw, and lever are each a different kind of _______.
- The ratio of the output force to the input force is called the _______.
- When you use a crowbar to remove a nail from a piece of wood, the distance from the crowbar’s pivot point to the nail is the _______.
- A tricycle is a/an _______, because its drive train changes the magnitude and direction of a force.
- The balance point for a see-saw is called its _______.
- When a person turns the wheel of a wheel and axle system, the axle delivers the _______.
- A rigid object that rotates about its fulcrum is called a/an _______.
|block and tackle|| ||efficiency|
|gear|| ||gear ratio|
|ideal mechanical advantage|| ||pulley|
|tension|| ||wheel and axle|
- A rope and pulley system that uses more than one pulley is called a/an _______.
- The gear and rear tire of a bicycle is an example of a _______.
- A wheel with 24 teeth was turned, causing a wheel with 8 teeth to turn. The system has a/an _______ of three.
- A toothed wheel is called a/an _______.
- The ratio of the radius of a wheel to the radius of its axle is the _______ of that wheel-and-axle system.
- During a tug-of-war competition, the _______ is the force exerted by the two teams along the rope.
- Real-world machines generate less output force than ideal machines because the _______ is usually less than 100%.
- The switchbacks of a trail up the side of a mountain are an example of a/an _______.
- A triangular doorstop placed partially under a door to keep it open is an example of a/an _______.
- When you turn a/an _______, it converts the rotational motion into translational motion into the material.
|biomechanics|| ||compound machine|
- A device that combines a lever, pulley, and screw is an example of a _______.
- _______ is the field of science to study how various parts of the body move.
- The diagram shows three pairs of action–reaction forces acting between a crowbar, a board, a nail, and a hand (not shown) pushing the right end of the crowbar. Consider the crowbar as a simple machine (lever).
- Which force is the input force on the lever and which is the output force?
- Where is the fulcrum located?
- What is the difference between a simple and compound machine?
- Define mechanical advantage in your own words.
- Name four simple machines.