Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|scientific notation|| ||surface area|
- Mass, time, and _______ are three fundamental dimensions of the universe.
- The relative size of things is in indicator of their _______.
- Protein folding in the cell occurs at _______ scales.
- A metal ball sinks in water because the metal’s _______ is higher than that of water.
- The celestial bodies of the Solar System are an example of the _______ scale of physics.
- A car’s gas tank holds 10 gallons of gasoline, which is a measure of its _______.
- Room A is hotter than Room B because the former has a higher _______.
- In the expression 8.7×103 kg, the number 3 is the _______ of 10.
- A distance of 10 miles is an example of a _______ because it has a value and a unit.
- A realtor said that the apartment for rent has 1000 square feet, which is a measurement of its _______.
- Expressing a distance as 2.7×1023 m uses _______.
- The _______ of the boy is 150 kg.
|accuracy|| ||decimal places|
|precision|| ||significant figures|
- The measurement 0.0789 m has three _______.
- A measurement of 0.711 m has lower _______ than a measurement of 0.0063 m.
- Samuil’s throws lacked _______, because the water balloons he threw repeatedly missed Veronica.
|conversion factor|| ||dependent variable|
|independent variable|| ||model|
- A relationship that connects two or more variables is an example of one kind of a/an _________.
- The quantity (39.37 in/1 m) is a/an _______.
- In an experiment to measure how much force is required to compress a spring by various lengths, the quantity force is a/an _______.
- In an experiment, the height that a ball was raised above the floor was 10, 20, 30, and then 40 cm, while the mass of the ball was always 180 g. The quantity height is a/an _______.
- A cube and a sphere have the same volume. Which one stands taller when placed on the ground? Why?
- Rank the three objects from smallest volume to largest volume. Assume all are solid with no interior voids.
- one kilogram of water
- one kilogram of wood
- one kilogram of aluminum
- Give three examples each of fundamental and derived units in the SI.
- Is volume a fundamental or derived quantity?
- Describe three advantages of the SI over the English system of measurement.
- Which has a higher density, a block of foam or a ball of clay?
- List the following in order of increasing size.
- List the following in order of increasing time duration.
- adult’s resting heartbeat
- one flap of hummingbird’s wings in flight
- one full rotation of the Earth
- one orbit of Mercury around the Sun
- the length of one class period