Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|electric motor|| ||electromagnetism|
- When you identify which end of a magnet is north you have determined its _______.
- As an electrical device rotates about its axis, the curved plates that create alternating voltages are called the _______.
- The subject of _______ connects the flow of electricity to the magnetic force.
- _______ can be created by wrapping wires carrying electricity around a metal nail.
- When Ravi wrapped a long wire around a cardboard tube he was creating a/an _______.
- The part of an electrical device that has rotating electromagnets is the _______.
- The _______ converts electrical energy into rotational motion of its axle.
|Faraday’s law of induction|| ||Lenz’s law|
|electrical generator|| ||electromagnetic induction|
|magnetic flux|| ||transformer|
- A hydroelectric power plant has a/an _______ that converts the rotational motion of the turbines into electricity.
- Electricity from a hydroelectric power plant is usually converted to high voltage using a/an _______.
- The _______ is a measure of the amount of magnetic field that passes through a closed loop of wire.
- Voltage can be created in a conductor by nearby, changing magnetic flux in a process called _______.
- That a changing magnetic field through a loop of 10 wire coils will induce more current than the same changing magnetic field through a loop of 3 wire coils is a consequence of ________.
- That an induced current flows in the direction to oppose a changing magnetic flux follows from ________.
|cathode ray tube (CRT)|| ||cyclotron radius|
|galvanometer|| ||mass spectrometer|
|permeability of free space|| ||voice coil|
- The _______ is a scientific instrument that can determine what elements are present in a gas.
- An indication of how well a magnetic field can be established in a vacuum is called the ________.
- Older kinds of television sets and computer monitors use a _______ to form the picture.
- In a bubble chamber image, the _______ can be used to determine the mass and charge of a particle.
- A scientific instrument that is a sensitive detector of small electric currents is the _______.
- At the heart of a loudspeaker is the _______, which moves up and down in response to changing electric current through it.
- A coil of wire carries a current as shown in the diagram. Will the bar magnet be attracted or repelled by the coil?