Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|electromagnetic wave|| ||light|
|scattering|| ||speed of light|
- The daytime sky appears blue because of the _______ of blue light by small particles in the Earth’s atmosphere.
- The _______ is 3×108 m/s.
- A/An _______ is an oscillating electric and magnetic field.
- The volume inside a bell jar, when it has been evacuated of all matter, is a/an _______.
- Electromagnetic waves are also called _______.
|dispersion|| ||electromagnetic spectrum|
|gamma rays|| ||index of refraction|
|infrared radiation|| ||microwaves|
|radiation|| ||radio waves|
|spectrum|| ||ultraviolet light|
- The mobile phone network transmits information at the wavelength region corresponding to _______.
- Sunscreen is important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of _______.
- The Sun’s light energy travels to us as electromagnetic _______.
- Radio waves, infrared light, ultraviolet light, and x-rays are all part of the _______.
- The most energetic form of electromagnetic waves is _______.
- The _______ of a material represents how the speed of light within the material differs from the speed of light in a vacuum.
- Thermal leaks from houses can be detected using a camera that is sensitive to _______.
- The longest wavelength electromagnetic waves are _______.
- A triangular glass prism separates white light into its constituent colors through _______.
- The _______ of visible light are the colors, wavelengths, and frequencies from red to green to violet.
|Planck’s constant|| ||detector|
|diffraction pattern|| ||optical fibers|
|photoelectric effect|| ||photon|
|quantum physics|| ||spectrograph|
|threshold frequency|| ||work function|
- _______ is/are a technology that transmits light and information using a process of total internal reflection.
- The _______ is the photon energy needed to liberate an electron from a metal.
- The _______ is an experiment that is explained using wave–particle duality.
- Light shining on a metal will eject no electrons unless the light exceeds the _______.
- The _______ is a scientific instrument that disperses light.
- The _______ projected onto a screen shows waves alternately adding and canceling each other.
- That light can be considered as an indivisible bundle of energy is a phenomenon of the field of _______.
- The image taken by a digital camera might have thousands or millions of individual ______(s).
- The value of _______ is 6.63×10−34 J s.
- That light comes in discrete packets is the essential concept of the _______ model of light.
- Which sentence corresponds best to the equation
- Current equals footage times length.
- Velocity of sound equals frequency times amplitude.
- Speed of light equals frequency times wavelength.
- Speed of light equals frequency divided by wavelength.
- In a vacuum, which waves travel fastest, radio, infrared, or ultraviolet?