- Which figure shows a driver getting stuck in the mud?
- The equation d = vt is applied to calculate the distance when time is given in seconds. If the speed is in units of centimeters per second, then what units will the calculated distance have?
- Write down three forms of the equation that relates speed, distance, and time. Each form should solve for a different variable.
- Which of the following equations best matches the meaning of the following sentence?
“The sum of two numbers is divided by 23.”
- (a + b)/23
- 23(a + b)
- a + b − 23
- 23/(a + b)
- If a2 = b2 + c2 then what is c in terms of a and b?
- As a solution to a physics problem, a student derived an equation for the distance traveled by a ball as d = 7t2. Is this a reasonable answer? Why or why not?
- A problem is given with three variables, a, b, and c. The relationships between the variables are
a = b + c
b = 2c
Is it possible to calculate a value for a with the information given? Why or why not?
- A = BC2 and A = DE.
- Given B, C, and E, solve for D.
- Given B, D, and E, solve for C.
- You need to do a series of calculations involving the motion of an object. Another student hands you predefined parameters of the problem; you see that she has defined xi = −53.4 m and xf = 71.6 m. How might you redefine the problem so as to make it easier to solve?
- Trixie is driving laps at a racetrack. The track is circular and has a radius of 25 m. After completing 2 full laps, what is Trixie’s displacement relative to her starting position?
- You walk 10 miles north, 20 miles south, and 5 miles north. Taking north to be the positive y direction, define a position vector that describes your position on the y axis.
- Two robots compete in a game of tug-of-war. The orange robot first loses ground, until x = −12 m, then gains it until x = 42 m when the blue robot loses its grip. In order to win, the total displacement of a robot must be 50 m or more. Did the orange robot win the round?
- Vector = (3, 4) and vector = (−7, 1). Which diagram shows − ?
- Starting at
= –5 m,
you walk right 10 m and then left for 3 m.
Your final position is
Taking right to be the positive x direction,
describe a displacement vector
that characterizes the total change in position.