Match each word to the sentence where it best fits.
|atomic mass unit (amu)|| ||binding energy|
|mass deficiency|| ||mass–energy equivalence|
|rest energy|| ||strong nuclear force|
- A particle that is not in motion still contains _______ that can be calculated from Einstein’s famous equation.
- The difference in _______ between the particles before and after a nuclear reaction is the energy source of nuclear power.
- The electric force of repulsion would push the protons in the nucleus apart if not for the _______ that holds them together.
- If you total the individual masses of the nucleons in a nucleus it will not equal the total mass of the nucleus.
The difference is called the _______.
- The number 14.007 represents the average mass of a nitrogen atom using the unit _______.
- Einstein’s famous equation is a statement of _______.
|alpha decay|| ||beta decay|
|carbon dating|| ||gamma decay|
|radioactive decay|| ||weak nuclear force|
- Carbon-14 has a/an _______ of 5,730 years.
- An atom that is unstable and may emit energetic particles is called _______.
- The age of a fossil can be estimated by using a process called _______.
- In _______, the total number of neutrons, protons, and electrons in an atom remains the same.
- _______ is when a nucleus emits a particle with two protons and two neutrons.
- Alpha and beta particles can be emitted by a nucleus in a process called _______.
- Radioactive decay is governed by the _______.
- _______ is when a nucleus emits an electron and is accompanied by the transformation of a neutron into a proton.
|nuclear chain reaction|| ||nuclear reaction|
- Through a _______ an element is changed into another.
- Nuclei are split in a nuclear reaction called _______.
- Nuclei are combined together in a nuclear reaction called _______.
- An example of a _______ is when one neutron starts a fission reaction that produces two neutrons, and both neutrons start a new fission reaction, producing a total of four neutrons.
|Geiger counter|| ||control rods|
|nuclear energy|| ||nuclear waste|
- Cancer cells can be killed in the human body through a medical process called _______.
- A/An _______ is a unit of measure of the impact of radioactivity on humans.
- If you have been exposed to too much radioactivity, you have received a dangerous _______.
- A nuclear power plant’s spent fuel is called _______.
- In a nuclear reactor, the rate of reactions can be slowed down by inserting the _______.
- The antimatter particle twin of the electron with a charge of +1.6×10−19 C is the _______.
- Reactions in the atomic nucleus produce _______.
- After _______, the remaining atom has one fewer electron and a net positive charge.
- An instrument that pops every time a radioactive particle passes through it is called a/an _______.